Conversations | Premiere Artist Talk: Zineb Sedira and Latifa Echakhch
Art Basel in Basel 2022, June 15
The leading artists Zineb Sedira and Latifa Echakhch sit down with Coline Milliard, Executive Editor at Art Basel, to talk about their pioneering practices, their common interests, and their friendship. Representing France and Switzerland, respectively, at the 2022 Venice Biennale, they will also discuss their exhibitions as well as their joint project for Kunsthaus Baselland.
Presented in collaboration with Kunsthaus Baselland. The exhibition ‘For a Brief Moment […] Several Times. Latifa Echakhch & Zineb Sedira’, 2 June – 17 July, 2022, curated by Director Ines Goldbach, is supported by the Institut français and the French Embassy in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
‣ Zineb Sedira, artist, London
‣ Latifa Echakhch, artist, Vevey
‣ Moderator: Coline Milliard, Executive Editor at Art Basel
‣ Zineb Sedira is an artist based in London and works between Paris, Algiers and London. The artist is representing France at the 59th Venice Biennale, 2022. Sedira has exhibited in solo exhibitions at the Photographer’s Gallery (London, 2006); New Art Exchange (Nottingham, 2009); Pori Museum (Finland, 2009); Bildmuseet (Sweden, 2010); Kunsthalle Nikolaj (Denmark, 2010); Palais de Tokyo (France, 2010); [mac] musée d’Art contemporain (Marseille, 2010); Blaffer Art Museum, (Houston, 2013); Charles H. Scott Gallery (Canada); Art On the Underground, (London, 2016); Sharjah Art Foundation (2018); Beirut Art Center (Lebanon, 2018); Jeu de Paume, Paris and IVAM (Spain, 2019), Bildmuseet (Sweden 2021) and SMOCA, USA (USA 2021).
Also, in biennials and triennials including the Venice Biennale (2001 and 2011); Limerick Biennial (Ireland 2001); ICP Triennial (New York, 2003); Sharjah Biennale (UAE, 2003 and 2007); Folkestone Triennial (2011); Thessaloniki Biennale (Greece, 2011), Prospect, New Orleans, (USA, 2016), Liverpool Biennale (UK, 2021).
‣ Latifa Echakhch — (1974, Morocco) lives and works in Vevey and Martigny, Switzerland. She graduated from the Ecole nationale supérieure d’arts in Cergy-Pontoise and the Ecole nationale des beaux-arts in Lyon. Galleries representing her include kamel mennour (Paris and London), kaufmann repetto (Milan and New York), Dvir Gallery (Tel Aviv/Brussels) and Pace (New York). She took part in the main exhibition of the Venice Biennale Arte in 2011 and was awarded the prix Marcel-Duchamp in 2013 and the Zurich Art Prize in 2015. She represents Switzerland at the 59th Venice Biennale Arte, 2022.
Through her interdisciplinary installations, Latifa Echakhch is recognized for the fine balance between forcefulness and fragility of her visual language, inserting surrealist and conceptual elements, and her use of symbols that–in her own words–are both “political and poetic”.
‣ Coline Milliard is Art Basel’s Executive Editor. An art critic and trained historian, she has written extensively on art and artists and published in periodicals including Frieze, Art Monthly, and The New York Times as well as books and exhibition catalogs. In 2010, she curated Zineb Sedira’s first retrospective in France, ‘Les rêves n’ont pas de titre’, held at the [mac] musée d’art contemporain de Marseille.
The Art Basel 2022 Conversations program is curated by Emily Butler.
#Conversations #Premiere #Artist #Talk #Zineb #Sedira #Latifa #Echakhch