Conversations | Exhibiting in the Metaverse
Art Basel in Basel 2022, June 18
In the face of the race to capitalize on the metaverse, what possibilities are there for artists, galleries, and organizations? Is the metaverse a single space or do many metaverses exist? This panel looks at the pioneering artists and organizations that have been using the tools of gaming, extended reality (XR), crypto, and Web3 to experiment with how work, collections, and exhibitions can grow within these rapidly evolving digital spaces.
‣ Nina Roehrs, co-founder, Roehrs & Boetsch
‣ Anika Meier, writer and curator
‣ LaTurbo Avedon, artist, avatar
‣ Moderator: Micol Ap, founder & CEO VerticalCrypto Art
‣ Dr. Nina Roehrs (based in Zurich and the Engadin) is a business economist with 14 years of experience in the financial sector and an expert on art in the digital age.
In 2016, she founded Roehrs & Boetsch, whose program is dedicated to the influence of digitalization on art and society. Furthermore, Roehrs & Boetsch takes great interest in actively discussing and developing new forms of exhibiting artworks where conventional methods have failed. This often involves digital spaces and the use of new technologies such as VR, AR, apps, websites and blockchain.
In 2021, Nina Roehrs was awarded as Digital Shaper by Bilanz. In addition to her own projects, she supports players (mostly) in the cultural sector in their digital transformation.
Nina Roehrs is co-curator of the first institutional art exhibition on blockchain and NFT in Switzerland, opening in October 2022 at Kunsthalle Zurich.
‣ Anika Meier is an author and curator specializing in digital art. She writes a column for the German art magazine Kunstforum titled STATUS UPDATE about the developments around the topic of NFTs in the field of art. Right now, she‘s working on among others a book titled ‘discussing Art NFTs’ with Micol Ap and Jesse Damiani, exhibitions and art NFT Linz for Francisco Carolinum in Linz, the UNESCO City of Media Arts.
She curated among others ‘The Artist Is Online’ (2021) at KÖNIG GALERIE and at ‘KÖNIG in Decentraland’ (together with Johann König), ‘Exercise in Hopeless Nostalgia’. ‘The World Wide Webb’ by Thomas Webb at KÖNIG DIGITAL; ‘Surprisingly This Rather Works’ by Manuel Rossner at KÖNIG DIGITAL, Link in Bio. ‘Art After Social Media’ (2019/2020) at Museum of Fine Arts in Leipzig, Virtual Normality. ‘Female Net Artists 2.0’ at Museum of Fine Arts in Leipzig (2018/2019).
‣ LaTurbo Avedon is an avatar and artist, creating work that emphasizes the practice of non-physical identity and authorship. Avedon has spent the past decade developing a body of work that illuminates the ever-growing intensity between users and the virtual, pursuing creative environments that deepen the meaning of immaterial experiences. Avedon’s process of character creation continues through gaming, performance and exhibitions. Their work has appeared internationally, including TRANSFER Gallery (New York), The Manchester International Festival UK, Transmediale (Berlin), Haus der elektronischen Künste (Basel), HMVK (Dortmund), Barbican Center (London), Galeries Lafayette (Paris), and The Whitney Museum (New York City).
‣ Micol Ap is CEO & founder of VerticalCrypto Art, a web3 native curatorial media studio dedicated to a leading web3 curatorial studio for NFT art, crypto art and new media offering advisory for collectors, projects and brands in the fields of art NFTs, web3 and crypto art. Micol is a curious & creative human working at the intersection of art and technology with over 9+ years of experience in the tech and creative industry.
The Art Basel 2022 Conversations program is curated by Emily Butler.
#Conversations #Exhibiting #Metaverse