10 Things to Know About Buying Art in 2023
Paris+ par Art Basel 2023, October 19
The art of collecting is anything but timeless: it mirrors the transformations happening both in- and outside the art world. Bringing together art advisor Patricia Marshall, the Chairman of Les Amis du Palais de Tokyo Philippe Dian, and gallerist Felipe Dmab (Mendes Wood DM), this panel addresses the recent shifts in the art market and reveals the 10 things to know before acquiring art in 2023.
‣ Philippe Dian, Chairman of Les Amis du Palais de Tokyo and collector, Paris
‣ Felipe Dmab, fonding partner, Mendes Wood DM, Brussels, São Paulo
‣ Patricia Marshall, art advisor, Paris
‣ Moderator: Dr. Jeni Fulton, Head of Editorial, Art Basel, Zurich
‣ Felipe Dmab founded Mendes Wood DM in 2010 in São Paulo alongside Pedro Mendes and Matthew Wood to exhibit international and Brazilian artists in a context conducive to critical dialogue and the cross-pollination of ideas. Inspired by a belief that artistic practices broaden the scope of human agency and have the power to change the world, the gallery cultivates a program premised on conceptualism, political resistance, and intellectual rigor.
‣ Patricia Marshall is an international contemporary art advisor based in Paris. In 1995, together with Eugenio López Alonso, Marshall began building a collection for the Jumex Foundation in Mexico City which became the Museo Jumex. Marshall curated two shows at Museo Jumex, ‘Confusion in the Vault’, in 2013 for the grand opening, and ‘On the Razor’s Edge’, in 2020–2021. In 2022 she commissioned permanent installations from Mexican artists for the Jumex factory in Monterrey. She has built collections worldwide and recently opened No Name, a Parisian salon where artists, curators, and collectors are invited to present exhibitions mainly with artists without French gallery representation.
‣ Dr Jeni Fulton is Art Basel’s Head of Editorial, leading the art fair’s digital magazine, Stories. She obtained her PhD on the subject of “Value and evaluation in 21st Century Art” from the Humboldt University in Berlin and read Philosophy at the University of Cambridge for her undergraduate degree. She lectures on the art market, contemporary art history, and art and technology at Zurich’s University of the Arts (ZHdK), and teaches in the Executive Master’s in Art Market Studies at the University of Zurich.
The Conversations program for Paris+ par Art Basel 2023 is curated by Pierre-Alexandre Mateos and Charles Teyssou.
#Conversations #Buying #Art